Fewer flights will be cancelled and delayed due to weather conditions at Lismore Airport, thanks to a $4.47 million investment under a re-elected Government, the Federal Member of Page Kevin Hogan said.
“This is great news for our community, our local aviation industry and local businesses,” he said.
“This $4.47 million investment is for Stage One of the revitalisation of Lismore Airport that involves the installation of an Instrument Landing System (ILS). This will allow pilots to safely land low visibility conditions.
“That’s less flights delayed, diverted and cancelled.
“It also means more Pilot Training Schools will be attracted to relocate from more expensive airports like Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
“This will ensure the jobs of the 4500 people who are currently employed by the aircraft industry. Up to another 60 jobs are expected to be created in maintenance and repair thanks to this major investment.
“The implementation of the ILS at Lismore Airport will ensure it remains a key player in the economic growth of the Northern Rivers and provides opportunities to attract innovation, technology, education, training and specialist aviation and aerospace services.
Lismore Mayor Isaac Smith welcomed the announcement.
“This is the most significant announcement for the Lismore Airport since the building of the current terminal 20 years ago,” he said.
“With this upgrade the airport now has a sustainable future and it unlocks future opportunities that fit perfectly with the City deal being discussed for our region.”
Some of the major projects Kevin Hogan has delivered for our community include:
- $15 million for expansion of Norco’s Ice-cream factory
- $17 million in grants for nine job-creating projects
- More than 300 new Aged Care beds
- New Headspace in Grafton
- Co-funding $7 million upgrade of Clarence Way
- $6 million for upgrade of Crozier and Oakes Oval
- New Northern Rivers Regional Art Gallery
- Expanded North Coast Regional Hockey Complex
- Grant for Casino Meatworks
- Maclean Riverside Precinct
- Casino Amphitheatre
- Southern Cross Lads Safe Driving Course
- Expansion of Summerland House Farm
- Woolgoolga Surf Life Saving Club
- Wollongbar Club House
- Kyogle Aquatic Centre
- Upgrade of Casino Saleyard
- Sealed road to Toonumbar Dam
- Repair of Woodburn to Coraki Road
- Coffs Harbour bypass
- Revitalisation of Kyogle Memorial Institute Hall
- Major upgrade of Culmaran Creek Road
- Upgrade of Harwood Mill and Refinery
- Replacing 20 wooden bridges in Kyogle
- Upgraded Albert Park Baseball Complex
- Upgrade of Casino Hospital Emergency Department
- Six new Trade Training Centres
- Record bulk billing rates
- Record funding for our local schools
- Record health funding
- Woodburn Riverside Precinct
- Casino Drill Hall Precinct
- More In-Home and Residential Aged Care place