A grant to install a disability ramp at Jagun Aged and Community Care means will allow more elderly Indigenous people to access the centre’s popular Day Program, the Federal Member for Page Kevin Hogan said.
“The Centre does a wonderful job in bringing elderly community members together and breaking down social isolation,” he said.
“However, they couldn’t get people with disabilities, or those using walkers, into the centre so they came to me asking for assistance with funding.
“I organised a $11,500 grant under our Building Stronger Communities program so that having a disability didn’t prevent people from socialising.
“This will allow more people to attend the Centre’s Day Program and make new friends, whether they are attending the arts and crafts courses or low-level fitness classes.
Jagun’s Managing Director Tony Perkins said the grant would allow the Centre to attract more clients.
“We have about 15 people coming into the centre a day. Once we have the ramp in place we can attract more clients.
“It’s all about increasing the numbers to bring people together. We feel everyone deserves a better quality of life and social interaction.”
Some of the major projects Kevin Hogan has delivered for our community include:
- $15 million for expansion of Norco’s Ice-cream factory
- $17 million in grants for nine job-creating projects
- More than 300 new Aged Care beds
- New Headspace in Grafton
- Redevelopment of Oakes Oval.
- New Northern Rivers Regional Art Gallery
- Expanded North Coast Regional Hockey Complex
- Maclean Riverside Precinct
- Casino Amphitheatre
- Southern Cross Lads Safe Driving Course
- Woolgoolga Surf Life Saving Club
- Wollongbar Club House
- Kyogle Aquatic Centre
- Upgrade of Casino Saleyard
- Sealed road to Toonumbar Dam
- Repair of Woodburn to Coraki Road
- Coffs Harbour bypass
- Revitalisation of Kyogle Memorial Institute Hall
- Major upgrade of Culmaran Creek Road
- Upgrade of Harwood Mill and Refinery
- Replacing 20 wooden bridges in Kyogle
- Upgraded Albert Park Baseball Complex
- Upgrade of Casino Hospital Emergency Department
- Six new Trade Training Centres
- Record bulk billing rates
- Record funding for our local schools
- Record health funding
- Woodburn Riverside Precinct
- Casino Drill Hall Precinct
- More In-Home and Residential Aged Care place