Federal Member for Page Kevin Hogan today inspected the final works at the Southern Cross LADS Driver Training Track that has been funded by the Government.
“It is great to see that this project is in its final stages and will be ready to train our young drivers in a couple of months.
“This project has been talked about since our community’s tragic loss of four young lives in a car crash at Broken Head Road in 2006,” Mr Hogan said.
“Any life lost on our roads is far too many. This project will help train our young people to make them safer drivers.”
The track is about 500 metres in circumference and built on a 50 acre site on the outskirts of Lismore.
It feature various road conditions including ‘wet’ conditions, roundabouts for vision and steering training, corners of various radii, a straight sufficient for vehicles to accelerate to 80km/h, sand traps and a spectator viewing area.
The Federal Government contributed $250,000 to kick start the project, with donations raised by Southern Cross LADS making up the remainder.
“I would like to acknowledge the hard work of Southern Cross LADS for not only raising awareness about the need for better driver education but for also fundraising since early 2007, together with many service clubs, to make it a reality,” Mr Hogan said.
Some of the major projects Kevin Hogan has delivered for our community include:
- $15 million for expansion of Norco’s Ice-cream factory
- $17 million in grants for nine job-creating projects
- More than 300 new Aged Care beds
- New Headspace in Grafton
- Co-funding $7 million upgrade of Clarence Way
- $6 million for upgrade of Crozier and Oakes Oval
- New Northern Rivers Regional Art Gallery
- Expanded North Coast Regional Hockey Complex
- Grant for Casino Meatworks
- Maclean Riverside Precinct
- Casino Amphitheatre
- Southern Cross Lads Safe Driving Course
- Expansion of Summerland House Farm
- Woolgoolga Surf Life Saving Club
- Wollongbar Club House
- Kyogle Aquatic Centre
- Upgrade of Casino Saleyard
- Sealed road to Toonumbar Dam
- Repair of Woodburn to Coraki Road
- Coffs Harbour bypass
- Revitalisation of Kyogle Memorial Institute Hall
- Major upgrade of Culmaran Creek Road
- Upgrade of Harwood Mill and Refinery
- Replacing 20 wooden bridges in Kyogle
- Upgraded Albert Park Baseball Complex
- Upgrade of Casino Hospital Emergency Department
- Six new Trade Training Centres
- Record bulk billing rates
- Record funding for our local schools
- Record health funding
- Woodburn Riverside Precinct
- Casino Drill Hall Precinct
- More In-Home and Residential Aged Care place